Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Just the tips. Just to see how it feels.

It's been a long hiatus but I'm back to posting. But enough about me, on to the food. After the superbowl I was confronted with a problem. Like most folks we made wings for the big game. While I was preparing the wings I would separate the wing tip from the wing, and then the drumette from from the little wing. After I finished prep, I realized that I had a whole mess of chicken wing tips. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about throwing them away or just freezing them for the stock pot. But what kind of cook would that make me? After all a cook isn't worth his weight in salt unless he can take the tough, ugly and unappealing and turn it into something that tastes good.

Coupled with that, I had been reading about the influx of Sichuan cuisine into New York City. So I was inspired.

I marinated the wing tips overnight in soy, sugar, and rice wine vinegar. I broiled them until brown and then stir fried the tips in sesame oil with jalapeƱo, ginger, garlic, scallions and dried red chilies.



The wing tips aren't for everybody. There is not much meat and bit of cartilage. But the skin to flesh ratio gives them a deep chicken flavor. If you feel so inclined you could always substitute the tips with chicken thigh meat. Now, I wont include a recipe here because the chances that somebody will actually make this are slim. It's mostly to urge that we think before we throw food out because what we think of as garbage is food in 95% of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Won't make it, you say? That sounds (and looks) totally worth it. Though I don't often have spare wing tips lying around, next time I have chicken on the bone I'm makin' this. Care to share the ratio of your marinade?

    And welcome back. Please blog more so I imitate your cooking/impress the fellas more.

    ReplyDelete